The Council of the Township of Lucan Biddulph feels that it is important for citizens of the Township of Lucan Biddulph to have the ability to beautify the front of their property, specifically the area owed by the Township know as the boulevard through the creation of boulevard gardens. To facilitate this, the following policy regarding boulevard gardens has been adopted.
- It is the responsibility of the property owner to locate all servicing, such as gas, phone, Hydro, cable etc. prior to commencing any works on the boulevard.
- Boulevard gardens shall be limited to perennial or annual plant material up to 60cm tall except within street intersection lots where plants shall not exceed 30cm tall. Shrubs up to 30cm in height are permitted. Decomposable mulches are permitted. Property owners are not permitted to plant trees. Noxious weeds and invasive plants are not permitted.
- A 30 cm (12”) setback shall remain in place for all sidewalks, curbs and driveway edges.
- Raised planters shall not be used to contain the boulevard garden. The boulevard garden shall be at grade with any adjacent sidewalk or path edge to minimize movement of mulch or inorganic materials and prevent gaps that could cause pedestrians to trip. The owner is responsible for maintaining this level.
- The landscape treatment shall maintain positive surface drainage.
- Property owners shall maintain their sidewalk free and clear of all debris that may be caused by the boulevard garden.
- The Township of Lucan Biddulph reserves the right to require with due notice that the boulevard be returned to turf grass at any time at the property owner’s expense, failing which the Township may remove all non-compliant material and restore the boulevard to the turf grass standard.
- Permanent installations such as in-ground irrigation systems, fencing, or hard mulches such as pea gravel or rocks are not permitted on the boulevard. No ornaments or decorative objects shall be allowed to be placed in the boulevard garden.
- In the event that emergency works are required that will disturb an existing boulevard garden, no notification will be provided. In the event of scheduled boulevard works, Township staff will notify the homeowner two weeks in advance, giving them the opportunity to salvage plant material. Following any boulevard works, the boulevard will be restored to the sod standard unless the homeowner states their intent to reestablish the boulevard plantings within 30 days, weather permitting. Reestablished boulevard gardens should be in compliance with this policy. Following the 30 day period, if no homeowner plantings have taken place, the Township will restore the boulevard to turf. The Township of Lucan Biddulph assumes no responsibility for the cost of repairs of any damages to the garden on the boulevard.
- Contaminants from the roadway may affect consumables; therefore vegetable gardening is not encouraged.
- The property owner shall maintain clear and easy access to all above ground and underground services, including but not limited to fire hydrants and valves, Bell pedestals, and Hydro transformer boxes.
- Nothing in this guideline shall supersede any existing or future Township by-law.