The Integrity Commissioner is an independent and impartial position that reports directly to Municipal Council and whose powers and duties are set out in the Municipal Act, 2001. The Integrity Commissioner is responsible for oversight of the Code of Conduct for Members of Council, Committees and Local Boards.
Responsibilities of the Integrity Commissioner:
- Investigate complaints and alleged breaches of the Code of Conduct for Members of Council.
- Review the Code of Conduct for Members of Council and make recommendations.
- Serves as an advisor to individual Members of Council in relation to the Code of Conduct and any procedures, rules and policies of the municipality governing ethical behaviour, and educator for Council, Committees, Local Boards, Staff and the public.
- Provide reports to Council, summarizing activities.
- Provide individual investigative reports, as required, which will include background concerning a complaint and recommendations to Municipal Council with respect to a complaint
A member of the public may request, in writing to the Municipal Clerk, an investigation of whether the Council Code of Conduct has been breached . The Clerk will forward the request/complaint to the Integrity Commissioner.
Appointed Integrity Commissioner:
Laura Dean, Aird & Berlis LLP
Administrative Assistant: Katie MacDonald - 416.865.7789, ext. 3169
Closed Meeting Investigator
The Municipal Act also requires a municipality to appoint a closed meeting investigator to investigate complaints as to whether a municipality has complied with the requirements of Section 239 of the Act regarding open meeting requirements.
A member of the public may request, in writing to the Municipal Clerk, an investigation of whether a municipality or local board has complied with the Municipal Act or the Municipal Procedure Bylaw in respect of a meeting or part of a meeting that was closed to the public. The Clerk will forward the request/complaint to the Closed Meeting Investigator.
Appointed Closed Meeting Investigator:
For more information contact the Clerk's Department at: